Hilton’s Commitment To You, Our Guests, As We Navigate Through Coronavirus (COVID-19)
As it has always been, the safety and security of our guests and team members remains our highest priority. We are doing everything we can to ensure your travel safety and provide maximum flexibility as the situation around novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve.
We will continue to update this page with the latest information regarding booking flexibility, Hilton Honors membership Points and Status, supporting our communities and workforce, and travel safety.
Health and Hygiene – Updated as of April 27, 2020
Hilton CleanStay with Lysol Protection Hilton has developed a global program that will introduce a new standard of hotel cleanliness and disinfection to ensure Hilton guests enjoy an even cleaner and safer stay: Hilton CleanStay with Lysol protection. The program has been developed with experts from RB, maker of Lysol and Dettol, brands trusted for safely disinfecting surfaces. In addition, experts from the Infection Prevention and Control team at Mayo Clinic will advise and assist in enhancing Hilton’s cleaning disinfection protocols.
Hilton CleanStay builds upon Hilton’s already high standards of housekeeping and hygiene, where hospital-grade cleaning products and upgraded protocols are currently in use. The program will feature Lysol’s trusted cleaning products, solutions and training in North America. RB and Hilton are also exploring opportunities to expand the program into a global partnership. The program will include:
- Hilton CleanStay Room Seal to indicate that guest rooms haven’t been accessed since they were cleaned
- Extra disinfection of top 10 high touch areas in guest rooms including light switches and door handles
- Increased cleaning frequency of public areas
- Guest-accessible disinfecting wipes at entrances and high traffic areas
- Enhanced cleaning for fitness centers
- Reduced paper amenities (like pads and guest directories) in rooms
- Enhanced cleaning & other changes to buffets, in-room dining and meeting spaces
- Industry-leading contactless check-in and check-out with Digital Key at more than 4,700 properties globally
- Evaluation of new technologies like electrostatic sprayers with disinfecting mist and ultraviolet light to sanitize surfaces and objects
- Enhanced Team Member safety and well-being with personal protective equipment and enhanced training and protocols
The rollout of Hilton CleanStay will begin at Hilton hotels worldwide in June 2020.
Current Health and Hygiene Standards. We take great pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene. Given the effects of COVID-19, we have taken additional measures in our hotels today, developed in consultation with global and local public health authorities (including the WHO and CDC), to make our cleaning and hygiene protocols even more rigorous:
- Our hotel teams are receiving ongoing briefings and enhanced operating protocols.
- We have increased the frequency of cleaning our public areas (including lobbies, elevators, door handles, public bathrooms, etc.) and have continued the use of hospital-grade disinfectant.
- We will continue to adjust food and beverage service in accordance with current food safety recommendations.
- We have increased the deployment of hand sanitizers.
We have activated our regional and global response teams to provide around-the-clock assistance to our hotels and are prepared to act swiftly should we be alerted to a case of coronavirus at one of our properties.
Supporting our Communities – Updated as of April 20, 2020
We are proud to be working with American Express and the Hilton ownership community to donate up to 1 million rooms to medical professionals in the US and supporting the many communities impacted by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) around the world.
- 1 Million Rooms. In partnership with American Express, we will donate up to 1 million hotel room nights across the United States to frontline medical professionals leading the fight against COVID-19. Starting April 13th, rooms will be available free of charge to doctors, nurses, EMTs and other frontline medical staff who are a part of our partner associations who need a place to sleep, recharge or isolate from their families. Rooms are now available through May 31st. For more information read our full press release here.
- Medical Professional Association Partners. Hilton is initially working with 10 associations to provide access to our room donation program, including the American Nurses Association, the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, and the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians. These initial associations collectively represent more than 1 million healthcare workers and we look forward to adding more in the coming weeks. To book these rates, first log into your medical professional association site. You’ll then be directed to our dedicated booking page for the program.
- Financial Assistance. Our Hilton Effect Foundation has pledged financial assistance to organizations to help those impacted by COVID-19.
- Donating. We have made it possible for you to donate Hilton Honors Points to our partner organizations responding to COVID-19. All Points donations will be converted into cash and sent directly to the organization. You also have the option of donating cash directly to World Central Kitchen, Project Hope and Direct Relief.
Your Travel Flexibility – Updated as of March 25, 2020
We have made additional adjustments to our modification and cancellation policies to provide you with maximum flexibility while travel remains restricted in many parts of the world.
- Existing Reservations. All individual reservations—even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”)—that are scheduled for arrival on or before June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
- New Reservations. Any individual reservations you make—even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”)—that are booked between today and June 30, 2020 for any future arrival date can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
If you cancel a rate which required an advanced payment or deposit, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Due to the influx of cancellations, it may take up to 30 days to complete your request. If you are a Hilton Honors member and cancel an Advanced Purchase rate, you may be eligible for a free night certificate for each cancelled night. Free night certificates can be used at our over 6,000+ properties worldwide. Stays must be completed by August 31, 2021.
If you need to adjust reservations made via the Hilton website, app or call center, you can change your reservation here or contact the Hilton Guest Assistance team. If you need to adjust reservations made through another travel site, please contact them for assistance.
Your Hilton Honors Points and Status – Updated as of May 8, 2020
We know that earning and using points is not possible for many of you right now, so we are making a number of adjustments to help you maintain your status and points across the remainder of 2020.
- 2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021.
- 2020 Status Extension. We are extending your 2020 member status through March 31, 2022. This means you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver benefits you have access to today for the next 24 months.
- Points Extension. We will pause the expiration of all Points scheduled to expire between now and December 31, 2020.
- Weekend Night Rewards Earned on Eligible Hilton Credit Cards. We have extended the expiration date of all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021).
Hilton Honors Experiences
We are monitoring all active Experiences to ensure the safety of our members and provide maximum flexibility. For more information as it relates to event cancellations and Point refunds, please visit our FAQs page.
Hilton Honors American Express Card Member Benefits
Hilton and American Express announced more ways to earn rewards during this time on their co-branded credit card products. The changes are designed to provide Card Members with greater flexibility and even more Points that can add up now for future travel.
Starting May 1, new offers are being added to the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card and the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card:
- More Points at U.S. supermarkets: With the rise of cooking at home, an increased accelerator will enable members to earn 12 Hilton Honors Points for every eligible $1 spent at U.S. supermarkets between May 1, 2020 and July 31, 2020.
- Extended Free Weekend Night Rewards, now with greater flexibility: Unexpired and new Free Weekend Night Rewards issued through December 31, 2020 can now be used any night of the week (not just on weekends). And new Free Weekend Night Rewards issued from May 1 through December 31, 2020 will now be valid for 24 months (rather than 12 months) from the date of issuance. There are no blackout dates for booking and they can be used at more than 6,000 hotels worldwide.
- Bonus Points now count as Base Points to achieve Elite Status even faster: Bonus Points earned through eligible purchases that post to the Card Member’s Hilton Honors account between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will now be considered Base Points. The Points will count toward Elite tier qualification, including Lifetime Diamond Status.
- Hilton Honors Aspire Resort Credit can now be used for purchases at U.S. restaurants, including takeout & delivery: From June 1 – August 31, 2020, eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants will now qualify toward the $250 Hilton Resort Statement Credit benefit.
Hilton Workforce Resource Center – Updated as of March 23, 2020
Hilton is partnering with leading companies to connect Team Members from temporarily suspended hotels with hundreds of thousands of short-term jobs created by the global pandemic. Hilton Team Members, and others in the industry seeking employment, have been given direct access and in some cases expedited access to temporary jobs on the Hilton Workforce Resource Center at companies such as Albertsons, Amazon, CVS, Lidl, Sunrise Senior Living and Walgreens. Hilton hopes to expand the program globally and plans to welcome these Team Members back when travel resumes. Team Member applicants are encouraged to visit: https://teammembers.hilton.com/covid19